[whatwg] HTMLMediaElement timeupdate when starting new load

Chris Pearce chris at pearce.org.nz
Thu Jul 22 20:43:02 PDT 2010

  In the media element load algorithm [1], step 4 resets the current
playback position to 0 if the media element has a previously or
partially loaded resource. I think we should send a "timeupdate" event
if this causes the current playback position to change. This is makes it
easier for controls UI to keep their playback positions up-to-date with
the actual playback position, and it makes sense to send a timeupdate
event since we are changing the current time.

You could argue that sending a timeupdate event in step 4 of the load
algorithm is implied by changing the current playback position, but the
spec is explicit everywhere else that we send timeupdate events, so it
would be nice to be explicit here too.

All the best,
Chris Pearce.

[1]