[whatwg] Constraint validation for maxlength

Ola P. Kleiven olak at opera.com
Fri Jul 23 23:46:00 PDT 2010

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 00:21:10 +0200, Aryeh Gregor
<Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:
>> I think that depends largely on how many, and how big, sites are
>> affected by this. Do you have a list of known sites with this issue?
>
> No, I was just raising the issue to see what people thought.  Maybe
> someone from Opera could share a reason why they don't follow the spec
> here, unless the spec was different when they implemented it or
> something.

 From what I can see this was changed in Opera four years ago after some
debate [1]. The big problem was pre- and script-filled fields that
exceeded maxlength. Users got confused when fields they hadn't touched
threw an error. See also [2] and [3]

Sites that broke back then were: (I don't know know if any of them still
are affected, many require login)

The YaBB forum software
SuperOffice eJournal (a support system Opera used)
http://kayak.com/ (was fixed after we pointed it out)
http://www.costco.com/ (internal navigation)
http://www.nowwhere.com.au (zooming maps)
http://www.zap2it.com