[whatwg] Character encoding of document.open()ed documents

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jul 27 12:21:47 PDT 2010

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> Spec change request: Please change the spec to say that document.open()
> sets the document's character encoding to UTF-8

(There was also a lot of research on the topic, that I haven't quoted
here, because frankly it just showed a complete lack of consistency in
what browsers do.)

I've made the change.

Hopefully this is equally as compatible (which seems likely given the
research), but if it turns out that we have to make this more complicated,
it would be really helpful to have examples of pages that depend on
whatever weird behaviour we need to have.

Should the default character encoding of a brand new document (e.g. from
createDocument()) also be UTF-8 rather than UTF-16?