[whatwg] idea for .zhtml format #html5 #web

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jul 27 16:34:31 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010, narendra sisodiya wrote:

> You can view the first webpage create on earth. We have saved our file
> from .txt .rtf .doc and now .odt. I love ODF format (.odt and other
> things) but there is a scope for .zhtml format for document and other
> purpose. Basically the idea of zhtml format is to create
> document/webpage using HTML5 technology. HTML5 technology with client
> side can create dynamic webpage with image video and we can actually use
> JavaScript to create a dynamic document. So basically we can create a
> zip out of all the html,js,css,images files and put a extension of
> .zhtml.
>
> There are many advantage of using zhtml format.
>
> * You can create some good web based software and share it using just one
> file.
> * Any document create using zhtml will be viewable after 100 years too.
> * Server must support .zhtml format so that website can autounzip and
> provide underlying files  Ex http://localhost/myfile.zhtml/test.html
>
> Disadvantage
>
> * There is no standard over web to make a slideshow Or presentation . There
> are 100 possible ways. So zhtml writers will make their own conventions but
> I believe that this will reach into a equilibrium
> * do not know !! but there there will be someone.

This seems orthogonal to HTML itself, so I haven't added this to the spec.
There are some existing technologies that basically do this, though, as
others have suggested (like widgets, like multipart/mixed, etc). I
recommend either trying to use one of those technologies or developing a
new one and approaching vendors directly to get them to support it.