[whatwg] Taking a look at overflow: pan

Charles Pritchard chuck at jumis.com
Tue Jul 27 19:17:20 PDT 2010

Hey all,

I've been working on a project which implements tiled scrolling...
Today from Ajaxian I saw the YUI 3 update, included in it is an
implementation
of ScrollView.

ScrollView is in some sense: overflow: pan;

It's similar to overflow: scroll, but instead of showing scroll bars, it
allows
the user to pan across the element, showing scroll indicators.

This causes some implementation difficulties when it comes to text
selection.

Android, iOS (Apple) and YUI are supporting this style of
overflow/scrolling.
SVG and other vector based viewers have often had panning options.

YUI shows, pretty clearly, how an element like "overflow: pan;" would
work in typical web-based content.

Here's their example (admittedly, with turbulence) :
http://yuiblog.com/sandbox/yui/3.2.0pr1/examples/scrollview/index.html

It's a thought. I've worked hard to on my naming schemes, to match them
with standards where I can. The ScrollView is just a one-off from what
we're already dealing with
with overflow: scroll.

-Charles