[whatwg] Changing punctuation value of input element in telephone state

Mounir Lamouri mounir.lamouri at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 01:36:41 PDT 2010

On 07/29/2010 12:08 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>> Other than that, the only safe alternative would be to leave the values
>> untouched, so the page can say what it wants, the user honor it, and the
>> server get it as expected; or gracefully degrade to an error message
>> that actually points to the user error (rather than an error introduced
>> by an UA trying to be out-smart the user).
>>
>> For sites that are ready to sanitize values from a specific locale; but
>> which are accessed through an UA with different settings (ie: on a
>> public place while abroad), the UA adding locale-specific stuff to a
>> phone value is very likely to render whole forms unusables.
>
> Adding, yes. Changing the spacing seems harmless.

It is, unless an author adds a pattern because he/she wants the
telephone number in a specific format (including spacing) which is
suggested by the specifications. In that case, if the user can't cancel
UA's autoformatting, it could be really bad for user experience.

I'm just worried about that case. If you consider it's not a
specification problem (ie. UA should let users disable autoformatting),
it's ok.

Thanks,
--
Mounir