[whatwg] Dealing with Stereoscopic displays

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jul 29 17:58:08 PDT 2010

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, Eoin Kilfeather wrote:

> I was wondering if any though had been given to a consistant way of
> dealing with stereoscopic displays. A use case has come up in a project
> I am working on which calls for the use of stereoscopic UIs but I can
> find no metion of the term in either the specs or the mailing list
> archive. My though was that perhaps it could be achieved by having a
> browsing context "_left_display" or "_right_display" allowing the user
> agent would render the left/right eye views to the correct display in a
> technology agnostic way. Apologies if this has already been covered.

As others mentioned on this thread, this is the kind of thing that is
typically abstracted out of the platform.

HTML in general isn't even one-dimensionsal -- it's an abstract language
for describing documents and applications at a conceptual level, not a
graphics or presentational language.

For 3D data, WebGL is probably the most applicable technology; one would
imagine that with stereoscopic displays WebGL would "just work" and render
the output in stereoscopic 3D. You'd similarly expect it to "just work"
with holographic 3D displays, non-holographic volumetric displays,
lenticular autostereoscopic displays, etc. We wouldn't want to have the
author work in terms of a "left display" and a "right display".