[whatwg] link by name instead of url

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jul 29 18:11:35 PDT 2010

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, Ashley Sheridan wrote:

> case 1: I don't think a browser could be that aware of a website. While
> you see google.co.uk and google.cn as just different language versions
> of the same site, a browser sees two different domain names entirely. I
> think it's a dangerous assumption to just link the two domains by their
> first parts, as that is no guarantee that they are the same site or even
> owned by the same people, and the whois for a domain isn't always
> reliable as registrars often register a domain in their company name
> rather than for the individual.
>
> case 2: each of these types of social sharing sites tends to have their
> own mechanism for sharing content which is generally in the form of a
> link. A UA would have to be aware of each specific one and the format of
> URL to pass them. This would potentially lead to some sites not offering
> links to share to certain websites because the UA isn't aware of them.
>
> case 3: I'm not sure this offers anything that a user can't already
> easily get themselves. Most browsers now allow multiple search engines
> to be attached and swapped in and out easily. For example, in Firefox I
> can easily switch between searching Google, Dictionary.com or Wikipedia.
> It wouldn't make sense for most websites to offer anything but the first
> one out of my list of three there. Often as well, a website might have a
> particular reason for delivering traffic to a specific search engine. A
> site that uses Google as a mechanism for searching it's own site might
> naturally offer this as an option to search the Web (if it offered this
> at all, which seems a strange thing to do anyway)

Indeed.

Furthermore, the use cases seem to cover two different cases:

In the first case, we have a situation where one service provider is
offering a number of services under one name, from which each user is
expected to select one.

In the second and third cases, we have a situation where many service
providers are offering different services under one name, from which again
each user is expected to select one.

The first use case is easily solved: provide a canonical URL for the
service, and have the service automatically pick one. This is what Google
does; if you visit http://google.com/ it redirects you to the most
appropriate domain for you.

The other two cases are more complicated. We'd have to define generic
concepts -- "social network", "search". We'd have to have a mechanism to
avoid sites spamming that system -- porn sites shouldn't be able to claim
to be the user's local post office, for instance. It's not really clear to
me how we could do that in a distributed fashion.

It could, however, be solved by a third party. If this is a problem that
really has a market need, an independent service provider could provide a
service whereby different sites register for a name, and a user expresses
a preference for that name, and sites can just link to that service
provider.

So instead of linking to Google or Yahoo!, you would link to this service
provider with the key "search", and it woudl redirect you as needed.

Since all these use cases can already be resolved, I haven't added
anything to the spec.