[whatwg] "Content-Disposition" property for <a> tags

Roger Hågensen rescator at emsai.net
Fri Jul 30 19:59:42 PDT 2010

On 2010-07-31 04:52, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

>> When I say the "Save As" UI I mean the one you get currently, which
>> varies, some browsers only provide a Save As and Cancel, while others
>> provide Save As with Open and Cancel.
>
> I can't name a single browser that provides an "Open" option if you
> select "Save As" from the context menu.  Can you?

Not explicitly, but if you click the link for example, but this would
also allow enhancing the explicit Save As (by letting the browser know
the filetype more accurately and present My Documents, or My Images etc.
folder destination if supported by browser obviously)

>> So based on your remarks, maybe the spec could state that if a browser
>> believe it can handle the file type then it should present a Open + Save
>> As UI,
>> but if it can not handle the filetype (aka handling un-configured or the
>> user set the browser's settings this way) then it should just present
>> Save As without Open.
>
> So you mean the browser should act as if
> content-disposition:attachment were specified?  Why not just say that?

Um. Because this (the topic by the original poster) is about exactly
that? *smiles*

--
Roger "Rescator" Hågensen.
Freelancer - http://EmSai.net/