[whatwg] audio and video: volume and muted as content attributes?

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Tue Jun 1 04:42:22 PDT 2010

On 2010-06-01 13:09, Bjartur Thorlacius wrote:
> On 5/31/10, Silvia Pfeiffer<silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I am not aware of a CSS property for media elements that lets you
>> control the muted state. Can you link me to a specification?
>
> Well, http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/aural.html defines volume and
> play-during. Play-during can stop, autoplay and repeat sounds.
> It's not obvious to me how this will apply to elements that represent
> audiovisual content but volume: silent; unambiguously mutes content.

Those properties were designed for aural browsers using speech synthesis
to read the content of a page, not to control multimedia in a page
itself.  Also, attempting to hijack those properties for use with
multimedia content could create difficulties as you would have to define
how the HTMLMediaElement's volume and muted properties interact with
those CSS properties, if at all.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/