[whatwg] Comment on 6.6 Offline Web Applications

Peter Beverloo peter at lvp-media.com
Thu Jun 3 12:30:17 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 15:01, Daniel Glazman
<daniel.glazman at disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I noticed the Application Cache does not allow to remove
> a single cached web application from the cache. Is that on
> purpose?
> I am under the impression the cache is here more an offline
> storage for webapps than a normal cache, and that in the long
> run browsers will have to implement an "Offline Web Apps" manager.
> Since the user is supposedly already provided with a dialog
> asking permission to make a webapp available offline, it makes
> sense to give him/her a way to remove a single application from
> the cache.
>
> </Daniel>

Section 6.6.7 talks about expiration of cached data [1], but also
includes a few notes about removing items from the store. It
specifically states that user-agents could have a "delete
site-specific data" feature which also covers removing application
caches, but also hints towards a feature that removes caches on
request of the user.

The API does not state a way allowing an application to remove itself
from the cache, which could be desirable for web authors. If there's
interest for such an addition I'm willing to make a proposal, as it
isn't hard to think about use-cases for such a feature.

Regards,
Peter Beverloo

[1] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/offline.html#expiring-application-caches