[whatwg] Form validation against invisible controls

Kornel Lesinski kornel at geekhood.net
Mon Jun 14 15:51:17 PDT 2010

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 08:44:09 +0100, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:

> Agreed on both accounts. Both these suggestions add a lot of
> complexity to the platform and we should avoid it if at all possible.
> To the extent that if there is lots of broken sites out there because
> they happen to use attribute names that collide with HTML5, but only
> partially match the HTML5 behavior, then we should consider renaming
> those attributes in HTML5.

I don't agree that there are "lots" of broken sites. My main browser is
Opera and I haven't noticed that problem yet.

The fact that there are some sites using 'required' attribute proves that
it's a good, intuitive name.

HTML5 is likely to outlive those broken sites. I think it would be shame
to change to worse name for HTML's lifetime just to avoid temporary
problem with some sites.

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński