[whatwg] Serialization of boolean content attributes

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Fri Jun 18 15:00:31 PDT 2010

On Jun 18, 2010, at 11:03 AM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> It would be pretty trivial to make the serializer HTML aware and hold a list of which attribute are 'boolean' in which elements, no? It already is HTML aware for a host of other reasons anyway.

One of the things I like about the current serialization rules is that the engine can parse and then serialize something for an element that is not yet known to the engine and it behaves no differently than one that is know. Attributes are simply strings. Having a different rule for boolean attributes would change that. Not a major concern, but something that bothers me slightly. It’s one thing to be HTML-aware and another to be future-of-HTML-aware.

    -- Darin