[whatwg] <video>

Kevin Carle kcarle at google.com
Mon Jun 21 16:22:49 PDT 2010

It's important to realize that Flash fullscreen is about a lot more than
just having the video play. For many sites (such as us at YouTube), the
controls/UI are part of the fullscreen experience. Unless you can fullscreen
a canvas or somehow allow controls and other elements (subtitles,
annotations, etc) it's simply not competitive with Flash. Right now there is
no way to implement the YouTube player and features in HTML5 in fullscreen.

For now our answer is to only allow "full browser" mode (stretch to fill
browser, user can then fullscreen the browser). This is not ideal,
especially since many users don't even know they can fullscreen a browser.

-Kevin