[whatwg] Allowing ">" in attribute values

Brett Zamir brettz9 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 24 02:22:39 PDT 2010

On 6/24/2010 10:13 AM, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
> The HTML5 spec appears to allow ">" inside an attribute value.  For
> example, the following page (note the body tag) passes the experimental
> HTML5 validator at w3c.org:

> I think ">" should be disallowed inside attribute values.   It is
> disallowed in XHTML [1].
I do not see any reference to this in the XHTML 1.0 specification (nor
XHTML 1.1), and in XML, section 2.4, it states only that it must be
escaped if part of the sequence "]]>" in "content", which I guess means
only element content. E4X also does not escape ">" in attribute values
(only in element content).

Brett