[whatwg] input type="location" proposals

Jeremy Keith jeremy at adactio.com
Thu Jun 24 13:45:16 PDT 2010

Michelango wrote:
> 1. Maps are heavy to get, this means UA should heavily cache and/or it
> should own whole maps data (huge!)
> 2. If 1) didn't exist because UA can, for instance, get maps data in a
> blink of an eye: whose data are we gonna use?
> 3. Maps data are often non-free and non-open, reliable maps data are
> always non-free and non-open.

The second clause of point 3 is demonstrably false. Said demonstration is http://www.openstreetmap.org/ which in many cases (e.g. the town I live in) has better, more up-to-date reliable data than its non-free, non-open counterparts.

See also: Wikipedia, blogs, and much of the World Wide Web.

(If you hadn't used the word "always", I would have let it slide but I cannot bring myself to let such absolutism go unchallenged)

> My 2c...

Seeing your 2c  and raising you a "citation needed." ;-)

But to the point at hand....

Would the @pattern attribute cover the use case of lat/long inputs? (albeit without a nice UI)

Jeremy

--