[whatwg] input type="location" proposals

Ashley Sheridan ash at ashleysheridan.co.uk
Thu Jun 24 17:55:05 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 19:30 -0400, Eitan Adler wrote:

> > Seeing your 2c  and raising you a "citation needed." ;-)
> >
> > But to the point at hand....
> >
> > Would the @pattern attribute cover the use case of lat/long inputs? (albeit without a nice UI)
>
> Possibly. I personally think that the UI is worth adding it to the spec.

I think it's quite a fringe case. What about things that are more used:

      * type=number - a browser could aid input with some sort of
        spinner
      * type=price - a browser could use the locale to select a monetary
        format, or at least display the amount in the locale format
        specified by the document itself

These are just a couple that I think would potentially be more useful
than type=location, as I see their use quite a lot. The price one is
probably more reserved to CMS's and auction sites, but these are fairly
common enough in use I feel. Number could be used for a whole plethora
of cases, such as a quantity amount in a shopping cart, an age field in
a form, or anything else where you might need a number that wouldn't
necessarily be sensible to use a type=range for.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk