[whatwg] HTML 5 : The Youtube response

Marques Johansson marques at displague.com
Wed Jun 30 11:27:17 PDT 2010

What is  the problem with #3?  My recent emails on this list concern #3.

I know that anything that has been seen or heard can be recorded,
replayed, and redistributed by illegitimate parties but that doesn't
mean content protection is silly.  Content providers have a right to
determine who, how, and when their videos can be accessed.

For pay-per-video services I would think a watermark + sue policy for
files distributed over HTML5/HTTP could handle content protection as
well as any flash based solution.

For pay-per-minute or pay-per-byte services I believe the HTTP and/or
HTML5 specification needs some minor changes to allow the server to
dictate the amount of data the UA should attempt to fetch from an open
and standard file over an open and standard protocol.

The user  is being charged for access to the content in some granular
fashion so the ability to constrain fetches would allow these service
providers to make sure that first parties have paid for the content
they are receiving without sending them and charging them for more
content than they wish.