[whatwg] media resources: addressing media fragments through URIs spec

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Wed Jun 30 11:41:04 PDT 2010

Hi Silvia,

Back in may last year I brought [1] up the fact that there are two use
cases for temporal media fragments:

1. Skipping to a particular point in a longer resource, such as
wanting to start a video at a particular point while still allowing
seeking in the entire resource. This is currently supported by for
example YouTube [2]. It is also the model used for web pages where
including a fragment identifier only scrolls to a particular point,
while allowing the user to scroll to any point both before and after
the identified fragment.

2. Only displaying part of a video. For example out of a longer video
from a discussion panel, only displaying the part where a specific
topic is discussed.

While there seemed to be agreement [3][4] that these are in fact two
separate use cases, it seems like the media fragments draft is only
attempting to address one. Additionally, it only addresses the one
that has the least precedence as far as current technologies on the
web goes.

Was this an intentional omission? Is it planned to solve use case 1
above in a future revision?

[1] http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-May/019596.html
[2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyQrKvc7_NU#t=201
[3] http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-May/019718.html