[whatwg] HTML 5 : The Youtube response

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 14:02:55 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Marques Johansson
<marques at displague.com> wrote:
> For pay-per-minute or pay-per-byte services I believe the HTTP and/or
> HTML5 specification needs some minor changes to allow the server to
> dictate the amount of data the UA should attempt to fetch from an open
> and standard file over an open and standard protocol.
>
> The user  is being charged for access to the content in some granular
> fashion so the ability to constrain fetches would allow these service
> providers to make sure that first parties have paid for the content
> they are receiving without sending them and charging them for more
> content than they wish.

Why doesn't the server just stop sending when the user hits the limit,
maybe adding some filler frames to tell the user why the video ended?
Pay-per-minute/pay-per-byte are very unimportant use-cases right now
anyway, though.  The overwhelming majority of video that people watch
on the web is downloaded free, and that's what we need to focus on
now.