[whatwg] borders on images inside links

Markus Ernst derernst at gmx.ch
Tue Mar 2 02:41:10 PST 2010

Ashley Sheridan schrieb:
> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 01:56 -0800, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> On Mar 2, 2010, at 1:41 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>
>> > 2) I do not believe the proposed rule is a good default for either
>> > documents or applications. It looks ugly. I randomly checked 10 of
>> > the sites I browse most often and I could not find a single one that
>> > explicitly added this rule for the browsers that don't have it.
>> > What's more, I could not find a single one that retained it for
>> > images. This rule is just a vestigial artifact that Web developers
>> > have to work around.
>>
>> I partially take it back, news.google.com and images.google.com
>> deliberately add blue borders to image links. However they do not use
>> a default border (it's 1px instead of 2px for one thing).
>>
>>   - Maciej
>>

> I agree with David Baron on this. The majority of browsers render images
> within links as having a border (which is the image highlight equivalent
> of a text underline when you think about it in context). Having some
> default expected behavior would be nice to see in a spec, even if the
> majority of websites actually override it. Having it in a spec will
> remain consistent with the older browser implementations, and may serve
> as a guideline as to exactly what should be expected.
>
> Besides, like you say Maciej, most website devs override this rule
> anyway, so it won't actually break anything, it would just clarify what
> is already happening.

I assume that it would be desirable for a specified default to reflect
the most common case, unless there are serious BC issues. The most
common case seems to be images without borders.

I apologize for the case this is a stupid suggestion: Could the spec say
that the default for HTML5 is no border, but UAs are encouraged to
render linked images in documents with pre-HTML5 or no doctypes with a
border?