[whatwg] borders on images inside links

Ashley Sheridan ash at ashleysheridan.co.uk
Tue Mar 2 03:00:32 PST 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 12:45 +0200, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2010, at 12:14, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>
> > The majority of browsers render images within links as having a border
>
> Do you mean the majority of browser installed base (IE's installed base plus Firefox's)? Of the 5 top browsers 3 don't have a border and 2 have. Of the 4 top engines, 2 have a border and 2 don't.
>
> > (which is the image highlight equivalent of a text underline when you think about it in context).
>
> It's not really equivalent in practice, though. The underline convention is widely retained, so users actually can use the convention as a signal. The border is virtually universally removed by authors, so it's not a convention users can look for as a signal.

I did mean the majority of the browsers installed (as an install base)

Of my tests on a few browsers, here is what I see:

Browser
Linked Image Border
IE
Yes
Firefox
Yes
Opera
No
Chromium
No
Konqueror
No
Seamonkey
Yes
Chrome
No
Safari
No
Epiphany
Yes

So yes, on the majority of actual distinct browsers (and I count Chrome
different from Chromium here) then the border is suppressed.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk