[whatwg] Fullscreen for HTML5 Video element

Ashley Sheridan ash at ashleysheridan.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 04:22:16 PST 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 06:24 -0600, Sir Gallantmon (ニール・ゴンパ)
wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 4:40 AM, Ashley Sheridan
> <ash at ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
>

>         On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 14:35 +0530, balachandar muruganantham
>         wrote:
>
>         > Hi,
>         >
>         > I have heard from people that there have been a discussion
>         > on supporting the fullscreen mode for HTML5 video element.
>         > can anyone share the information on the conclusion we
>         > arrived at? i searched in the archive but i could not come
>         > to any conclusion.
>         >
>         > -bala
>         >

>         Not according to the spec:
>
>         "User agents should not provide a public API to cause videos
>         to be shown full-screen. A script, combined with a carefully
>         crafted video file, could trick the user into thinking a
>         system-modal dialog had been shown, and prompt the user for a
>         password. There is also the danger of "mere" annoyance, with
>         pages launching full-screen videos when links are clicked or
>         pages navigated. Instead, user-agent-specific interface
>         features may be provided to easily allow the user to obtain a
>         full-screen playback mode"
>
>         Thanks,
>         Ash
>         http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
>

> I don't know if I completely agree with that. If that were the case,
> people would have done it with Flash years ago. Flash can be started
> in full screen mode, and yet nobody's done it....

Flash is a plugin whose display is outside of the browser, which is why
there's been countless problems over the years with it stealing browser
focus, appearing over the top of page elements, etc.

Also, I've never seen anything built in Flash that started up in
full-screen mode automatically. I had to trigger it explicitly every
time by an action from me.