[whatwg] Fullscreen for HTML5 Video element

Nils Dagsson Moskopp nils-dagsson-moskopp at dieweltistgarnichtso.net
Mon Mar 8 05:16:28 PST 2010

Tim Hutt <tdhutt at gmail.com> schrieb am Mon, 8 Mar 2010 12:48:30 +0000:

> 2010/3/8 Ashley Sheridan <ash at ashleysheridan.co.uk>
> > Also, I've never seen anything built in Flash that started up in
> > full-screen mode automatically. I had to trigger it explicitly
> > every time by an action from me.
>
> That was his point - despite the fact that it *can* be done in flash,
> it isn't. Hence the argument in the spec is invalid.

I doubt anyone thought about annoying advertisments immediately when
popup technology came around. Still, popup blocking is widespread today.

IMO, it is better to err on the side of caution. Such an API can always
be added later, if insurmountable obstacles to doing things the UA way
appear (I see no such hindrances today, could you elaborate).

> I don't really see what's wrong with having an API for fullscreen. If
> they want, user agents could have a preference to disable the
> full-screen API if people ever start doing annoying things.

I don't really see what is wrong with not having an API. Users could
still use UA facilities, like they do now to have a web page display in
full screen mode.

> As for the security issue, the 'Press Escape to exit fullscreen mode'
> banner works for flash.

Still, annoying. See Geolocation for an example that is handled in an
unobstrusive way by browsers.

Cheers,
--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann