[whatwg] Multiple file download

timeless timeless at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 00:28:35 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 3:31 AM, Jose Fandos <iaminlondon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Er... sure. It is not as convenient for certain web apps when compared to
> desktop apps. With this supported, the gap get's reduced.

Adding support for tar (and all of its variations) involves adding
extra code, testing, etc. to browsers. This is sometimes called bloat,
and can be painful for browsers that work on mobile devices. Things
aren't "free", especially not duplicative features.

I'm quite happy to demand that web sites include code for generating Zip files.

http://www.pkware.com/documents/casestudies/APPNOTE.TXT V. General
Format of a .ZIP file

the zip format is fairly streaming friendly, the directory is at the
end of the file. And if you're actually generating a file which has so
many records that you can't remember all of them, you're probably
trying to attack my user agent, so I'm quite happy that you'd fail.