[whatwg] URN or protocol attribute

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Mar 10 18:31:13 PST 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Brett Zamir wrote:

> > Is there really a need for a more dedicated mechanism? It's not clear
> > that there is much pent-up demand for this.
>
> There wasn't a lot of pent up demand for the web itself either ("why
> would people or companies want to link to other people's sites?"); if
> people aren't able to use a feature or know of the concept, they might
> not think of asking for it.

That's true, but we only have so many resources, so we have to prioritise.
Things that have pent-up demand are typically more important. :-)

I would recommend following a pattern somewhat like the Web's initial
development: create a proof of concept, and convince people that it's what
they want. That's the best way to get a feature adopted. This is described
in more detail in the FAQ:

   http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#Is_there_a_process_for_adding_new_features_to_a_specification.3F