[whatwg] <% text %> and <? text ?> in corporate intranet html content

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Mar 10 18:40:01 PST 2010

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Biju wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> >> At least in one page I saw, which was Case 1 and page was originally
> >> from a JSP or ASP template later modified and saved as a *.html
> >
> > I recommend fixing the page. :-)
>
> Hey, this is corporate intranet page, there is no way to fix it unless
> you show them broken in IE6
> it would have been remotely possible if Safari and Chrome also followed Firefox

I do not understand what you mean here.

What I mean by "fixing the page" is editing the markup to not have these
invalid constructs.

> >> So will IE and Safari (may be chrome also, i have not tested it)
> >> follow Firefox way?
> >
> > Hard to say. You'd have to ask Microsoft.
>
> What about Apple and Google, as at least Safari/Chrome/Webkit developers
> are active participant on this list.

I have heard WebKit developers indicate an intent to implement the HTML5
parsing rules in due course.

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Biju wrote:

> Why cant we consider <% some text %> and <? some text ?> as
> pre-processor command node in HTML DOM.

We could, there just doesn't seem to be a great benefit to it. It's never
been allowed, so why should we support it? There aren't many pages that
use this kind of markup, and they already don't work in all browsers.

> Also as a user I feel why cant Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome agree to
> behave same.

In due course they will. It takes time to fix bugs, especially in areas as
complicated as the HTML parser.