[whatwg] Storage quota introspection and modification

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 07:13:35 PST 2010

2010/3/11 Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) <ifette at google.com>:
> I would personally be in
> favor of this approach, if only we had a good way to define what it meant to
> "offline the app". Right now, appcache, database, everything is advisory.
> The browser runs across an appcache manifest and magically makes it
> available offline. The browser gets a request to store a new database and
> the assumption in the spec seems to be that there is some freebie quota, and
> then when you hit it some UA magic happens. There is no real way in the spec
> for the user to tell the browser "I actually want to use this site offline."
> E.g. there's no "installation" analogue. I've been asking for that for a
> while but have been shot down enough times that I've stopped asking :)

I also agree that this would be very useful.  My mind imparts a clear
distinction between an app that is available offline and an "offline
app"; I'm fine with any website doing the former without my permission
(in fact, I'd prefer it to be transparent to me), and with relatively
small limits, while the latter should be initiated by me and permit
larger or no limits.

The <input> idea from Orlow seems to be a great way to go about this,
personally.

~TJ