[whatwg] Storage quota introspection and modification

Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) ifette at google.com
Mon Mar 15 12:34:25 PDT 2010

Am 11. März 2010 14:50 schrieb Michael Nordman <michaeln at google.com>:

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> 2010/3/11 Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) <ifette at google.com>:
>> > Yes, but I think there may be uses of things like storage for
>> non-offline
>> > uses (pre-fetching email attachments, saving an email that is in a draft
>> > state etc.)  If it's relatively harmless, like 1mb usage, I don't want
>> > pop up an infobar, I just want to allow it. So, I don't really want to
>> have
>> > an infobar each time a site uses one of these features for the first
>> time,
>> > I'd like to allow innocuous use if possible. But at the same time, I
>> want
>> > apps to be able to say up front, at a time when the user is thinking
>> about
>> > it (because they just clicked something on the site, presumably) "here's
>> > what I am going to need".
>>
>> This is precisely my preferred interaction model as well.  Absolutely
>> silent use of a relatively small amount of resources, just like
>> cookies are done today, but with a me-initiated ability to authorize
>> it to act like a full app with unlimited resources (or at least much
>> larger resources).
>>

> In addition to more storage, another difference that ideally would come
> along with the "full-app-privilege" is for the user agent to avoid evicting
> that data. So stronger promises about keeping that data around relative to
> unprivileged app data.
>
> Also, this is being discussed in terms of "apps". Can more than one "app"
> be hosted on the same site? And if so, how can their be stored resources be
> distinquished?

Given that we have no way to enforce it in the UA (minus any radical changes
to same origin policy), I am leaning towards saying "no" to anything that
would actually be enforced. Perhaps we can make it easier for an app to
define what resources it owns, so that it can be broken down in a bit more
friendly way in the UI, but I really don't find it that interesting to be
honest given how few people I expect to ever go to the UI or even care.