[whatwg] <summary> tag to help avoid redundancy of meta description tag!?

Roger Hågensen rescator at emsai.net
Sat Mar 20 05:49:21 PDT 2010

On 2010-03-19 17:19, Roger Hågensen wrote:
> On 2010-03-19 15:43, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>>>
>>> If you look at my other thread Re: [whatwg]<meta name="description"
>>> href="#desc" />
>>> It allows notifying the parser that the content is in the page, and it
>>> is up to the parsers configuration whether to scan beyond the header in
>>> that case. Best of both worlds IMO.
>>>
>>> Roger.
>>>
>> I did see that, and it looks like a great idea, as it shouldn't
>> really break anything, and I saw that it should be possible to use
>> for the keywords too, which would fit perfectly with tag cloud
>> systems used on a page.
>>
>> I would presume that this would cause the content parser (browser) to
>> strip any and all tags surrounding the marked content?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ash
>> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
>>

> Well, looking at the example
> http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-March/025575.html
> I remebeerd that thew title element may have html markup in it (seen
> it in the wild), so most parsers probably apply tag stripping to that
> already,
> so yeah, stripping tags the parser do not want shouldn't be an issue
> really.

Just made a feature request article at
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Meta_element_href as it's just easier to
reference that than a mailing list post.
Sorry if it looks messy, I just used the advised template, but it's a
start at least.
If anyone feel like improving the language feel free to go nuts.

Roger.

--
Roger "Rescator" Hågensen.
Freelancer - http://EmSai.net/