[whatwg] @sandbox and navigation top

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Mar 24 01:49:07 PDT 2010

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Adam Barth wrote:

> Can a frame in @sandbox ever navigation the top-level frame?

Not without a user prompt, currently.

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, Markus Ernst wrote:

> An "allow-navigation" directive should IMO be ok. Given that a
> navigation element is allowed in the context, the user experience should
> actually not differ whether it is clicked in a sandboxed context or not.

Let's start with just frame busting, and then add the ability to open
popups once we have more experience with frame busting.

I've added the keyword "allow-top-navigation" that allows pages to
navigate their top-level browsing context.

> Some off-topic thoughts about this:
>
> Most non-academic websites apply target="_blank" on all external links.
> In order to allow a consistent user experience, it might be worth to
> encourage UAs to offer the following user settings:
>
> 1. "Open new tabs rather than windows"
> This should not only apply to windows opened with target="_blank" (as it
> is already possible e.g. in Firefox), but also to the ones opened by
> window.open().
>
> 2. "Always open links to other domains in a new tab" (resp. window, if
> the above option is not set)
> I would even encourage to set this as the default, as it is a de-facto
> standard at least in commercial and community websites.

This seems like something that would belong in a UA UI guide, rather than
the HTML5 spec. The spec doesn't even mention tabs.