[whatwg] Video Tag Proposal

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Mar 28 20:28:04 PDT 2010

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, Aaron Franco wrote:

> Due to the proprietary nature of the H.264 codec and the expensive
> licensing fees that go along with it, I propose that the MPEGLA and the
> Licensors of the codec disclose the patents royalty free if the codec is
> included as a part of the HTML5 specification. I am aware that this is
> already a requirement of the W3C, but it seems the license has not been
> disclosed yet.

This mailing list is neither an MPEG-LA mailing list nor a W3C mailing
list, so you may not have much success with this topic here.

>From the WHATWG's perspective, a royalty-free codec that everyone is
willing to implement would be great, but currently we are not aware of any
such codec existing. Unless anyone has any concrete new information on the
topic, e.g. in the form of browser vendors agreeing to all implement the
same codec, there is not much point rehashing the issue.

Cheers,