[whatwg] More questions about the DnD API

Stef Epardaud stef at epardaud.fr
Tue Mar 30 01:58:01 PDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 01:50:45AM -0700, Daniel Cheng wrote:
>      I want to do more than most file managers and let users visit
>      subdirectories by pressing control while over them, so they can continue
>      the drag operation inside the directory (and go deeper potentially).
>      A separate event makes it much easier to detect the key press.

But what was the rationale for preventing key events while doing DnD?

>      No I mean, when an external application initiates a drag and then enters
>      my browser window/document to look for potential places where it could
>      drop it. I want to detect that and highlight all drop targets in the
>      page. I would do this in the "drag" or "dragstart" events if this was
>      started in the document, but how to do it when it is started by an
>      external application?
>
>    I'd probably use a dragenter listener on the body of the document.

I couldn't get that to work properly with FF 3.6 and gave up after a few
crashes and hangs (which admitedly are not the spec's fault).

Why not make the implied drag and/or dragstart explicitely fired when
external applications start DnD in the browser? That might make it
simpler and more consistent.
--
Stéphane Epardaud