[whatwg] Video Tag Proposal

Eoin Kilfeather ekilfeather at dmc.dit.ie
Tue Mar 30 06:58:40 PDT 2010

Forgive my ignorance, I Am Not A Lawyer, but what are the consequences
of a submarine patent on Theora and/or Vorbis? If a browser supports
it in good faith, and subsequently a troll successfully introduces a
patent challenge, would the consequence not be that the codec would
simply be dropped with the next maintenance release of the browser? In
fact a court would surely allow a reasonable time for transition. OK,
annoying that content providers need to  re-encoded in a "legal"
codec, but that is at least a work-flow susceptible to automation. I
can't see a court giving financial "damages" for infringement of a
patent which hasn't surfaced since <video> was proposed at the end of
2006.

--
Eoin Kilfeather
Digital Media Centre