[whatwg] Proposal for secure key-value data stores

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Tue Mar 30 12:19:13 PDT 2010

Most companies that have such policies enforce them with software that
encrypts your home directory (or entire hard drive).  Since most (all?)
browsers store such data within a users home directory, that should be
sufficient for the specific case you're mentioning.  (Well, except
for expiration.)  Note that home directory encryption is easy and free on
some Linux distros and Mac OS.  (I don't know either way about Windows.)

To be honest, if someone can get at _any_ of your browser data (LocalStorage
included) you have a pretty major problem.  So tacking something onto other
storage APIs doesn't really make that much sense.  If someone can get at
even just your cookies, they can probably do a lot of damage.

What are the use cases around expiration of data?

Lastly, we really should not be creating new APIs that are synchronous that
involve multiple top level windows (like LocalStorage and this API you're
proposing).  It makes it very difficult to achieve isolation and parallelism
between multiple sites.