[whatwg] Speech input element

Olli Pettay Olli.Pettay at helsinki.fi
Mon May 17 07:00:27 PDT 2010

On 5/17/10 4:05 PM, Bjorn Bringert wrote:
> Back in December there was a discussion about web APIs for speech
> recognition and synthesis that saw a decent amount of interest
> (http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-December/thread.html#24281).
> Based on that discussion, we would like to propose a simple API for
> speech recognition, using a new<input type="speech">  element. An
> informal spec of the new API, along with some sample apps and use
> cases can be found at:
> http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AaYxrITemjbxZGNmZzc5cHpfM2Ryajc5Zmhx&hl=en.
>
> It would be very helpful if you could take a look and share your
> comments. Our next steps will be to implement the current design, get
> some feedback from web developers, continue to tweak, and seek
> standardization as soon it looks mature enough and/or other vendors
> become interested in implementing it.

After a quick read I, in general, like the proposal.

Few comments though.

- What should happen if for example
   What happens to the events which are fired during that time?
   Or should recognition stop?

- What exactly are grammars builtin:dictation and builtin:search?
   Especially the latter one is not at all clear to me

- When does recognitionState change? Before which events?

- It is not quite clear how SGRS works with <input type="speech">

- I believe there is no need for
   DOMImplementation.hasFeature("SpeechInput", "1.0")

And I think we really need to define something for TTS.
Not every web developers have servers for text -> <audio>.

-Olli