[whatwg] Do we really need to introduce a <device> element for giving access to webcams and mikes?

Tran, Dzung D dzung.d.tran at intel.com
Tue May 4 08:58:57 PDT 2010

The <device> was added by Ian Hickson in response to some of the work in the W3C DAP working group. The original intent was to make sure the user are actively grant permission to a particular device camera or microphone instead of just click okay since some malicious site can just capture and post it on the internet.

Here is a reference to the work in W3C DAP: http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/camera/Overview.html

Some threads on the topic:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2009Dec/0248.html

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2009Dec/0194.html