[whatwg] Input URL State and Files object

Charles Pritchard chuck at jumis.com
Wed May 5 12:54:01 PDT 2010

On 5/5/2010 12:42 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 5 May 2010, Charles Pritchard wrote:
>
>> Awhile ago, it appears, the "files" object was removed from<input
>> type="url">
>>
> "files" doesn't really make much sense for type=url... Do you mean
> type=file?

Sorry, it didn't make much sense: I meant a FileList object which
FileReader would use.
>> Is there currently a method for allowing cross-domain access to an image
>> based on user input?
>>
> XMLHttpRequest is the intended way to do this.

XMLHttpRequest relies upon CORS headers from the server; failing that..

Should a user intentional drag an image or URL object, or otherwise
select one
from their browser UI, the interaction is quite similar to the <input
type="file"> object.
Only, with a remote resource.

I'm sorry to have approached this so poorly; what I'm looking for is a
solution to the following use case:

A person is assembling a digital scrap-book, using a web application, of
pictures they've found
related to their love of kittens. Those that they've downloaded to their
computer, they simply drag
and drop into the application -- (File API, FileReader, ondrop). Those
that they find on the internet,
they drag their bookmark onto the application, drag the image onto the
application, or simply,
copy and paste the URL into an <input type="url"> box.