[whatwg] Expanding the cite element

Simpson, Grant Leyton glsimpso at indiana.edu
Wed May 5 19:43:37 PDT 2010

Dear WHATWG list participants,

Forgive me if this conversation has been had before; I've just recently joined the list.

Is there any value in adding an "href" or "uri" or similar attribute to the <cite> element to indicate a location for a work (or information about the work) or, in the case of a URI, an indicator that can be used as a reference programmatically?

If it were a URI (and therefore not necessarily retrievable), it would help in cases where the same work gets referenced in slightly different ways:

✍
Best,

Grant Simpson
¶ Senior Analyst/Programmer, Office of the Registrar
¶ Doctoral Student, Department of English
¶ Representative, IU Bloomington Professional Council
Indiana University Bloomington