[whatwg] getElementById

Perry Smith pedzsan at gmail.com
Mon May 10 20:28:13 PDT 2010

On May 10, 2010, at 7:04 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Perry Smith <pedzsan at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Careful, it might actually not be a native ECMAScript object that you
>>> get back. A host object could be implemented as a native ECMAScript
>>> object, as seen in many implementations, but, as seen in recent
>>> discussions, MSIE <= 8 has host objects that are not native objects
>>> and that do throw errors.
>>
>> That is what I'm asking.  I can't find where that is allowed (in the spec) or not allowed in a conforming UA.
>>

> Any DOM object is a host object in ECMAScript parlance and host
> objects have great liberty.
>
> Look how IE's shoddy catchall implementation of the styleSheets "dhtml
> collection" blows up on numeric [[Get]] access:
>
> alert(document.styleSheets[99999]); // Boom.
> javascript: alert(document.styleSheets['a']); // OK
>
> More indications on host objects in IE will show that they are not
> native ECMAScript objects.
>
> javascript: alert(document.body.valueOf); // undefined.
>
> javascript: alert([].slice.call(document.childNodes)); // Boom.

>>> The code attempts to assign a property, not an attribute.
>>>
>>> Setting a property such as newAttr is not specified. If it throws an
>>> error or does nothing, it is your fault.
>>
>> Ok.  (Sorry for the incorrect use of terms.)  If setting a property is not specified, that means that a conforming UA can disallow setting properties.  Or it could silently ignore the attempt to set a property.  Is that what was intended?
>>
> Yes. An implementation can also throw errors with that. Nothing in
> HTML 5 prevents that. Nothing in ECMAScript prevents that, for host
> objects.
>
> The browser can do whatever it wants with that property. Take a look
> at MSIE document.expando.

Wow.  I happened to pull down the ECMAScript 5 doc this past weekend to understand exactly how an event handler is called.  html5 refers to functions defined in the ECMAScript doc.  But I've never heard of "host objects".  The first hit in the EMCAScript 5 doc for host object tells all.  These guys did not learn from the mistakes of Pascal.  An utterly hopeless feeling came over me.

So, how about this?

As part of HTMLElement, have a defined bucket, maybe call it elementObject which is defined to be a native ECMAScript object.  If X denotes a particular DOM element, then X.elementObject is defined to return the same native ECMAScript object each time.  More details could be added perhaps to define how the object is created (i.e. which prototype to use, etc).  I'm thinking making it the same as {}.