[whatwg] Window events that bubble?

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Mon May 17 15:12:02 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 3:07 PM, David Flanagan <david at davidflanagan.com> wrote:
> Section 6.5.9 "History Traversal" defines popstate and hashchange events
>  that are fired on the Window object. It specifies that these events *must*
> bubble.  Where should they bubble to?  What does it mean to bubble up from a
> Window?  These events aren't going across frames, are they?
>
> Is the specification that they must bubble a formality because existing
> implementations set the bubbles property of the Event object to true? Or
> does it actually have some impact on event propagation?

My understanding is that the only noticable effect of defining that
these effects bubble is that their bubbles property is set to true.
Same thing happens to bubbling events fired at an XMLHttpRequest
object.

Of course, in a theoretical future where we'd add an object "above"
the Window object, these events would bubble to that object. But
that's not the case today as no such object exists.

/ Jonas