[whatwg] Java language bindings for HTML5

Shiki Okasaka shiki at google.com
Tue May 18 23:40:16 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 May 2010 04:38:21 +0200, Shiki Okasaka <shiki at google.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Kühn Wolfgang <wo.kuehn at enbw.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> As for the html5 elements, will there be a new package org.w3c.dom.html5?
>>
>> This is our concern, too. Historically each W3C specification
>> introduced its own module name. However, the recent specifications
>> tend to omit the module specification in the IDL definition.
>>
>>    cf.
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009AprJun/1380.html
>>
>> In the IDL files we used above, we chose module names that seem to be
>> practical, but those are not part of the standard. Hopefully more
>> people will revisit this issue sometime soon.
>
> Can't they all just use org.w3c.dom? We cannot make the interface names
> overlap anyway.

I think one module name for all of the Web platform would work fine
for programming languages joining to the Web platform only recently.
But for languages like Java, I guess it would be nice to have a rule
for obtaining module names.

I'm curious how directory name (cssom, workers, postmsg, etc.) is
assigned for each specification today. Can we use the same name as a
module name in most of the cases? It wouldn't work for cssom,
cssom-vew, though.

 - Shiki