[whatwg] Java language bindings for HTML5

Kühn Wolfgang wo.kuehn at enbw.com
Wed May 19 02:41:41 PDT 2010

Hi,

In the future, I see a lot of libraries soft-implementing WebIDL interfaces
without binding against a standard interface, may it be Java, C# or C++.

This is not good for many reasons. The most obvious are that consumers cannot
exchange implementations, and that implementors have no tool support to check
the conformance of their implementation.

A quick search reveals the following implementations for the
HTML5 Canvas Element alone:

Java
	com.googlecode.gwt.graphics2d.client.canvas.HTMLCanvasElement
	com.google.gwt.gears.client.canvas.Canvas
	com.google.gwt.corp.gfx.client.canvas.CanvasElement
	gwt.g2d.client.graphics.canvas.CanvasElement
	gwt.ns.graphics.canvas.client.Canvas

C++
	WebCore.html.HTMLCanvasElement (WebKit)
	dom.nsIDOMHTMLCanvasElement (Firefox)

Other static typed languages
	org.milescript.canvas.HTMLCanvas
	dom.HTMLCanvasElement (esidl)
	com.w3canvas.ascanvas.HTMLCanvasElement
	com.googlecode.flashcanvas.Canvas

Agreeing on a name space does have far reaching consequences, as the example of
	org.w3c.dom.html.HTMLImageElement
in DOM Level 1 shows.

Because of a subtle change in the api the w3c chose to rename the package to
	org.w3c.dom.html2.HTMLImageElement
in DOM Level 2.

However, some 8 years later, the JRE only ships with org.w3c.dom.html,
and the xerces DOM implementation and HTML parser do only support Level 1.

Web-centric use cases for implementing in static typed languages are
* UA implementations such as WebKit or Gecko
* Cross-compiling to JavaScript (for example GWT)
* Automating browsers for testing and debugging

Greetings, Wolfgang