[whatwg] Java language bindings for HTML5

Shiki Okasaka shiki at google.com
Thu May 20 22:34:26 PDT 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 3:38 AM, Benjamin Smedberg
<benjamin at smedbergs.us> wrote:
> On 5/19/10 5:41 AM, Kühn Wolfgang wrote:
>
>> C++
>>        WebCore.html.HTMLCanvasElement (WebKit)
>>        dom.nsIDOMHTMLCanvasElement (Firefox)
>
> Mozilla nsI* interfaces, if they continue to exist, should be treated as
> internal. We have little interest in binding to a frozen interface
> definition. The interfaces may change or be extended in the future.

I agree browser's internal definitions are not good examples here, and
frozen interface definitions are not very interesting.

For the static programming languages which are trying to support the
Web platform, I think the following characteristics would be
necessary:

* frequent SDK updates: the SDK should keep catching up with browsers
quickly as they support new, updated Web specifications.
* backward binary compatibility: the application programs developed
with the former SDKs should run with browsers as long as browsers
retain the required features for ECMAScript.

 - Shiki