[whatwg] Clarification request on Server-Sent Events Last-Event-ID

Nicholas Zakas nzakas at yahoo-inc.com
Fri Nov 12 14:53:51 PST 2010

Just a quick question about the Last-Event-ID header. The spec currently says:

>>If the event source's last event ID string is not the empty string, then a Last-Event-ID HTTP header must be included with the request, whose value is the value of the event source's last event ID string, encoded as UTF-8.

Consider the following scenario: a connection is established and one of the events has an id of "foo", so the last event ID of the event source is now "foo". The connection drops and on reconnect, the header Last-Event-ID: foo is sent per the spec. The next stream of events coming through do not have any IDs. The connection is dropped again.

The question is whether or not Last-Event-ID: foo should be sent a second time? Technically, it is the last event ID of the event source, and the spec never mentions resetting the last event ID outside of an empty "id" field in the stream.

Thanks.

-Nicholas

Commander Lock: "Dammit Morpheus, not everyone believes what you believe!"
Morpheus: "My beliefs do not require them to."