[whatwg] <input type=number> without keyboard editing

ddailey ddailey at zoominternet.net
Sun Nov 7 18:02:57 PST 2010

This discussion reminds me vaguely of something I've given students for the
past n years (where n is >dirt):

Build a widget called a "throttle"  (i.e., a number-picker)

"Allow the user to control acceleration as numbers (real or integer) between
1 and 10,000 are selected. High on the throttle increases the rate of change
(velocity); low decreases it. See if you can make a "number-picker" that
works quicker than a keyboard. [for selecting particular preseleted
numbers]"

The problem is vaguely related to a question of mathematics: while an
ordinary base n writing system allows the expression of any number, n,
using log (n) digits, some systems that are equally efficient have the added
benefit (?) that individual numbers may be expressed in more than one way.
Ordinary bases have exactly one expression per number and all numbers are
expressible. Some systems might easily express certain numbers using log
(log (n)) digits, but might not be able to express all numbers. (for
example, the expression "2^(2^n)" expresses the n digit number (base 2) that
it represents , using only  log (log (n)) digits ). Is there a system of
expression more efficient that ordinary base n for writing all numbers?
Suppose there is a writing system S that encodes all numbers, n, expressible
in S, using at most log(log(n)) digits. If such a system is not possible
then there must be a smallest number Q that is not expressible within that
system. Let us express that number using the symbol "Q" which takes one
digit.

If we had a control which allowed the entry of any large integer more
quickly than through a numeric keypad, then would this not be a good widget?
Likewise, the question of optimizing the "color picker" interface so that a
human can choose "precisely" (modulo psy) a predetermined color (in RGB,
HSV, or CIELAB space) in the least amount of time, has not, I would claim,
yet been optimized. I think the optimal solution would involve throttles in
an intrinsically toroidal space.

cheers
David