[whatwg] Encrypted HTTP and related security concerns - make mixed content warnings accessible from JS?

Ingo Chao i4chao at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 11 12:06:39 PST 2010

2010/11/11, timeless <timeless at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Ingo Chao <i4chao at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> For automated error reporting, say for a HTTPS mashup page with 3rd
>> party advertisement content, I would like to have a security warning
>> thrown for the mixed content situation (HTTPS mixed with HTTP
>> content), accessible from JavaScript.
>>
>> Would that be possible to specify?
>
> sounds like it's asking for information disclosure.
>
> so offhand, i'd say "no".
>
> Use a web debugger (DragonFly, Firebug, ...).

I use a web debugger for testing a control sample, but It does not
help much until I know that every single ad is delivered via https.
Usually, I don't know. For https mashups, users will see always a few
security warnings in IE or Chrome, because a few components will be
delivered via http. Thats good, but I would like to know that, too.
The mashup should report that automatically. Hence my question
regarding a warning which is accessible via JS.

Thanks
  Ingo

--
Ingo Chao