[whatwg] Processing the zoom level - MS extensions to window.screen

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 10:12:21 PST 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Simon Fraser <smfr at me.com> wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2010, at 7:46 AM, Ojan Vafai wrote:
> To be clear, chrome.tabs.getZoomPercentage is a Chrome extension API. Having
> extensions that can mess with zoom seems like a legit use-case. But I agree,
> I can't think of good use-cases for the general web being able to.
>
> The only one I can think of is sizing the canvas backing store to get a
> sharp image on high-resolution displays, and possibly swapping in different
> image assets from JS.

The author can't control the size of the backing store, though (unless
you mean, for example, keeping a 1-to-1 canvas, instead of making the
canvas half-size and then upscaling it with CSS).

The latter sure, that's a somewhat valid reason, but still very minor.
 (And using vector images gets around the issue entirely.)

~TJ