[whatwg] Processing the zoom level - MS extensions to window.screen

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Sun Nov 21 16:56:27 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck at jumis.com> wrote:

> I would point out that the MS proposal has an independent X and Y scaling
> mechanism.

Does anyone know of any modern displays which have different X and Y
resolution?

> I believe that dpi ratio is simply set to "2" (or .5... sorry a bit rusty)
> on the iOS 4 retina display.

There will be cases where zooming doesn't change device-pixel-ratio. Mobile
browsers tend to have a "fast" zoom out which doesn't change the layout
(mostly), and that might not change device-pixel-ratio. I think that's OK
for your use cases as long as device-pixel-ratio reports the ratio as if the
page is "zoomed in".

Rob