[whatwg] classList should perhaps move from HTMLElement to Element

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 23 09:37:51 PST 2010

> My plan is to define Element.id, Element.className, Element.classList,
> and getElementsByClassName in DOM Core. And tie getElementById to
> Element.id somehow, tie Element.id to an attribute named "id", and
> Element.className to an attribute named "class".

Why do we want to tie .className to a particular attribute name?  I
agree it may not be that convenient for authors if a particular language
wants to use some other attr name for classes, but presumably they'd
have really good reasons for doing that if they do it at all?

-Boris